Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

What to do with unknown reloads

Picked up a bunch of 30-06 match Ammo in a lot and there are a bunch of soft point Ammo loaded in tw43 military brass, not knowing anything about them as to powder/bullet weight etc, what would be the best thing to do with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    The only safe option is pull them. Then you can reuse brass and projectiles in load of your choice. I would resize and re-prime as well.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokedurhonda View Post
    Picked up a bunch of 30-06 match Ammo in a lot and there are a bunch of soft point Ammo loaded in tw43 military brass, not knowing anything about them as to powder/bullet weight etc, what would be the best thing to do with them?

I agree with clcraig pull them use the components that you know are good and pitch the rest

Rub some dirt on it and get back in the fight

Title
    Premium Member
    Pull them. Reuse components. Go shooting.

Title
    Premium Member
    Pull and reuse brass and bullets. Fertilize the yard with powder. Get rid of primers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Another vote for pulling and reusing brass and bullets. The danger of unknown reloads is very real....just not worth the risk

Title
    Premium Member
    I too have some unknown reloads from a guy that has passed away. I know that the Primers are Large Riffle Mag but no idea on the powder or bullets. I will be pulling the bullets and dumping the powder. The other issue is I do not know if the brass was full length sized before they was loaded or not. I will have to pop out the live primer and resize. I might just cut the decapping pin off and go that way, leaving the primer in place.
    Currently reloading for .380 ACP, 9MM,327 Federal Mag, 38 Special, .357 Mag, 40 S&W, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, .458 Socom, .223 Remington, 22-250,7MM Remington Mag, 30-06 and 340 Weatherby Mag, 50 Beowolf